Code of conduct for staff and volunteers
YogaBears Teachers & Assistants who areinvolved in yoga for children and young people have a great opportunity to be a positive role model and help build an individual’s confidence.
Teachers & Assistants are expected to:
- Ensure the safety of all children by providing effective supervision, suitable pre-planning of classes, using safe methods at all times.
- Consider the wellbeing and safety of participants before the development of performance.
- Encourage and guide participants to accept responsibility for their own performance and behaviour.
- Treat all young people fairly and ensure they feel valued. Have no favourites.
- Encourage all children not to discriminate on the grounds of religious beliefs, race, gender, social classes or lack of ability.
- Not allow any rough or dangerous play, bullying, or the use of bad language or inappropriate behaviour.
- Appreciate the efforts of all young people and not over-train the young people. Never exert undue influence over performers to obtain personal benefit or reward.
- Be positive, approachable and offer praise to promote the objectives of YogaBears at all times.
- Not let any allegations of abuse of any kind or poor practice to go unchallenged or unrecorded. Incidents and accidents to be recorded in the line with the YogaBears procedures. Parents will be informed.
- Never use sanctions that humiliate or harm young people.
- Report accidents or incidents of alleged abuse or poor practice to the designated person.
- Administer minor first aid in the presence of others and where required refer more serious incidents to the “first aider” on duty.
- Have access to telephone for immediate contact to emergency services if required.
- Foster team work to ensure the safety of youth members in their care.
- Ensure the rights and responsibilities of youth members are enforced.
- Establish and address the additional needs of disabled participants or other vulnerable groups.
- Not abuse members physically, emotionally or sexually.
- Maintain confidentiality about sensitive information.
- Respect and listen to the opinions of young people.
- Take time to explain teaching techniques to ensure they are clearly understood.
- Develop an appropriate working relationship with participants, based on mutual trust and respect.
- Be a role model, displaying consistently high standard of behaviour and appearance (disciplined/committed/time keeping), remember children learn by example.
- Refrain from smoking and consumption of alcohol during YogaBears activities or sessions.
- Never condone rule violations, rough play or the use of prohibited substances.
- not spending excessive amounts of time alone with children unless there are exceptional circumstances.
- Never taking children to their home
- Not administering First Aid involving the removing of children’s clothing unless in the presence of others.
- Hold appropriate valid qualifications and insurance cover.
- Make Yoga fun!
YogaBears Teachers have the right to:
- Access on-going training and information on all aspects of leading/managing activities for youths, particularly on Safeguarding.
- Support in the reporting suspected abuse or poor practice.
- Access to professional support services.
- Fair and equitable treatment by the governing body/club.
- Be protected from abuse by children/youths, other adult members and parents.
- Not to be left vulnerable when working with children.
Any minor misdemeanours and general misbehaviour will be dealt with immediately and reported verbally to the designated person. Serious or persistent breach of the code will result in disciplinary action and could lead to YogaBears revoking the individuals teaching licence.
Dismissals can be appealed by the Teacher with final decisions taken by the company.
For a physical copy please email email@example.com